Hi Friends! Hope you all are having a great Memorial Day weekend :0 Here are some tips from the ASPCA for making sure the celebration is safe and happy for our fur babies:
Top 5 Memorial Day Picnic Tips
Nothing says Memorial Day weekend like driving to the mountains or the beach for an old-fashioned barbecue or picnic. But with these carefree days comes an increased risk for illness or injury for our furry pals.
The ASPCA recommends keeping your pet indoors as much as possible during outdoor parties. From toxic foods to fire hazards, our animals are exposed to all sorts of unusual things during Memorial Day weekend, and your pet is counting on you to keep him safe.
Check out our top five tips for keeping your animal secure this weekend and beyond.
• Skip the spray. Avoid lathering your pet with any insect repellent not intended for the four-legged kind.
• Avoid scraps from the grill. Stick with your pet’s normal diet—any change, even for a day, can result in an upset stomach.
• Be cool near the pool. Don’t leave pets unsupervised around a pool or lake—not all dogs are expert swimmers!
• Stay fire smart. Keep your pet away from matches, citronella candles and lighter fluid, which if eaten can irritate the stomach, lungs and central nervous system.
• Keep it fresh. Bring enough water to keep yourself and your pup hydrated. “Nature’s dog bowls”—puddles, ponds and streams—may contain parasites.
Be sure to check out our other seasonal pet care tips and stay cool this summer!